Chimney Fire Damages Home

Saturday morning, residents of a Hillsboro home called 911 to report smoke filling their home from their fireplace with flames visible on the siding outside of the house. The residents attempted to extinguish the fire outside and then evacuate with their two dogs. 

The on-duty battalion chief was the first to arrive and reported pressurized smoke emanating from the attic area of the home. He upgraded the fire to a first alarm to bring additional resources. Firefighters entered the home to search for and extinguish the fire in the attic while other firefighters made access to the garage to extinguish the fire there. The home was searched to confirm no other residents or animals were inside and that everyone was able to evacuate safely. No injuries were reported. For the safety of first responders, Hillsboro Police assisted by temporarily closing both directions of NE Cornell Road between NE Jackson Street and E. Main Street.

Hillsboro Fire investigators responded to the incident and reported that the fire originated in the fireplace and the cause was accidental.

A public safety chaplain responded to the scene to provide support and assistance to the residents and their two dogs who are displaced temporarily because of the fire. 

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue reminds community members of these important fire safety tips:

  • Smoke alarms save lives. It’s recommended to have one in each room of your home, test each one monthly, and replace them every ten years or when they stop working properly.
  • Have your fireplaces and chimneys inspected annually.
  • Create and practice your home fire escape plan. Never re-enter a burning home to retrieve pets or belongings. 

Source: Hillsboro Fire

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content