Suspect Arrested After Breaking Into Mobile Homes

Multnomah County sheriff’s deputies arrested a man after a string of home and car break-ins in Wood Village Saturday afternoon.

Just before 5 p.m., on July 30th, deputies received a report that a couple of people were trying to break into a parked car at the Wood Village Town Center on NE Glisan Street. When deputies arrived, they attempted to contact one man who was seen actively trying to enter the car. When he saw the deputies, he ran east through the shopping center parking lot.

While checking the area for the suspect, a deputy was flagged-down by a resident in a mobile home park in the 23300 block of NE Arata Road. The woman stated that a man, matching a description of the suspect, entered her home and demanded she give him water. While the deputy was talking with the woman, they heard glass breaking at a different home nearby.

Deputies then witnessed the suspect run out of the property and jump a fence, returning to the mobile home park where he had been prior. As deputies tracked the suspect, a resident stated that the suspect had broken into their home and that his wife was still inside. Deputies then heard the woman start screaming. Deputies quickly gathered, entered the home and confronted the suspect. They took him into custody, while helping the woman get to safety.

The suspect was identified as 35-year-old Johnnie Lewes Thomas. During their investigation, deputies learned he also attempted to steal a car. Thomas was charged with:

  • Two counts of burglary in the first degree
  • One count of attempted burglary in the first degree
  • Three counts of criminal trespass in the first degree
  • Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle

Deputies also learned that Thomas had a current felony warrant issued out of Washington state for a child sex abuse case. After being taken to the hospital for a medical evaluation, Thomas was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center, where he remains in custody.

Neighbors were shaken by the events, but relieved Thomas was apprehended. During the search, the temperature was 101 degrees. The Sheriff’s Office would like to acknowledge the deputies’ quick actions, endurance and professionalism during this response, and for bringing closure to a community with an arrest.

Source: Multnomah County Sheriff's Office

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content