In recognition of its service to Northwest communities, Fred Meyer Stores proudly celebrates its official 100th anniversary in May of 2022. Fred G. Meyer opened his first store in downtown Portland in 1922. He got his start with a coffee cart and eventually expanded into a one-stop shopping experience that has grown to 132 stores across Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska.
In honor of the special anniversary, the company has launched a dedicated website to share historic photos, rotating videos, Associate spotlights, and more: https://www.fredmeyer.com/i/community/100-year-anniversary
“I am so proud of our Fred Meyer heritage, and our great Associates that have served Customers so well that we have been able to grow to serve all of the communities that we call home today,” stated Dennis Gibson, president of Fred Meyer Stores, Inc. “It is rare for a retail company to last 100 years, and we are very excited to celebrate this big anniversary.”
Fred Meyer will be rolling out various activities in celebration of the anniversary:
- Ribbon cutting event at every store on Friday, May 13 at 9am
- Celebration event at Fred Meyer Portland campus, 3800 SE 22nd, on Tuesday, May 10 at 11am
- A full week of fun Associate activities
- A Customer contest with a Grand Prize of $5,000 and a diamond bracelet from May 11 - June 14; entries can be made starting at www.fredmeyer.com/100years beginning 11am on May 11.
- A special offer of 500 Fuel points when Customers spend $100 May 8 – May 13
- A big Founder’s Day Sale in honor of Mr. Meyer, in all stores May 11 – May 17
Source: Fred Meyer