Oregon Secretary of State Shemia Fagan hosted the virtual ceremony today to inaugurate Emerie Martin as Oregon’s 2022 Kid Governor. Martin is a fifth grader at Pleasant Hill Elementary in Pleasant Hill. She ran and won on her platform of preventing animal abuse.
Emerie was joined today by her six cabinet members from across the state, previous Oregon Kid Governors, and Paul De Muniz, former chief justice of the Oregon Supreme Court, who delivered the oath of office. Oregon Secretary of State Shemia Fagan hosted the ceremony and delivered remarks congratulating Emerie. Secretary Fagan’s remarks also celebrated civics education and public engagement.
“I am so inspired by Emerie and her cabinet members. They’re all incredibly thoughtful and really care about making things better,” Secretary Fagan said. “Each of them is already using their voice to engage their communities and our state. I am thrilled for Emerie and for Oregon as she begins her year as Oregon’s 2022 Kid Governor. I can’t wait to see what these fifth graders accomplish.”
Emerie Martin was elected Kid Governor by her peer 5th graders across Oregon in November. Over 2,200 students participated in the Oregon Kid Governor election. Emerie is joined by an impressive cabinet including:
- Andy, Adams Elementary, Eugene: Homelessness Help
- Benjamin, Hawks View Elementary, Sherwood: Creating a Stronger Community
- Gwendolyn, Skyline K8, Portland: Climate Change
- Katy, Pacific Ridge Elementary, Seaside: Equal Opportunities
- Kinley, Territorial Elementary School, Junction City: Reducing Food Waste
- Vedant, Springville K-8, Portland: Physical and Mental Health in Kids Development
Kid Governor was started by the Connecticut Democracy Center in 2015 as a way of introducing Civics Education to fifth graders. It is in its fifth year in Oregon. The program is administered by the Oregon Secretary of State’s office.
Source: Oregon Secretary of State