Interstate 84 east of Interstate 5 will close in both directions this weekend, Oct. 8-11, while crews put in place the new Congressman Earl Blumenauer Pedestrian and Bicycle Bridge.
When open next year, the Blumenauer Bridge will connect pedestrians and people biking on Northeast 7th Avenue between the Lloyd and the Central Eastside neighborhoods. In the future it will also serve as an important link in Portland’s Green Loop.
Both eastbound and westbound I-84, along with on-ramps, will be closed, with some variations, around the clock from 10 p.m. Friday, Oct. 8 to 5 a.m. Monday, Oct. 11.
Here are the closure details.
All I-84 eastbound lanes will close from I-5 to Cesar Chavez Boulevard, including:
- The ramps to I-84 from northbound and southbound I-5.
- The eastbound on-ramp from Northeast Grand Avenue, closing at 5 a.m. Friday.
- The eastbound on-ramp from Northeast 16th Avenue, will periodically open.
The eastbound on-ramp from Cesar Chavez Boulevard will remain open. On-ramps east of Cesar Chavez Boulevard will also remain open.
All I-84 westbound lanes will close at Interstate 205 including:
- The ramps from northbound and southbound I-205.
- The on-ramp from Northeast Halsey Street, near 82nd Avenue.
- The on-ramp from Northeast Glisan Street, near 58th Avenue
- The on-ramp from Northeast Sandy Boulevard.
- The on-ramp from Northeast 33rd Avenue.
- The ramps to northbound and southbound I-5.
For real time traffic information during the closure, go to TripCheck.com. This work is weather dependent and the schedule may change.