Police Seek Witness In Danielson Shooting

Photo: Possible witness to Aaron "Jay" Danielson shooting

The Multnomah County District Attorney says a warrant was issued for Michael Reinoehl's arrest before federal agents tried to take him into custody and he was fatally shot.

Reinhoehl was going to be charged with the murder of Aaron "Jay" Danielson last weekend in Portland.

"The events of Thursday night are still being investigated by multiple law enforcement agencies. We still do not have a full understanding of what led to the death of Michael Forest Reinoehl. The loss of life is tragic. It has a profound impact on families, friends and community members. The apprehension of a fugitive, in particular one under investigation for murder, is especially dangerous for law enforcement. I am thankful that no one else was injured or killed during last night's incident in Lacey, Washington, and I appreciate the coordination between law enforcement agencies throughout this investigation,” District Attorney Mike Schmidt said.

On August 29, 2020, Portland Police responded to a shooting near the intersection of Southwest 3rd Avenue and Southwest Alder Street. The Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office determined Mr. Danielson died of a gunshot wound to the chest.

On September 3, 2020, law enforcement obtained a court-authorized arrest warrant for 48-year-old Michael Forest Reinoehl and a court-authorized search warrant for his residence.

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office filed a charging instrument accusing Reinoehl of murder in the second degree with a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon with a firearm. Furthermore, the state was prepared to prove that Reinoehl unlawfully and intentionally, using a firearm, caused the death of Aaron Danielson.

During the search warrant execution at Reinoehl’s residence, the Portland Police Bureau recovered evidence including clothing items that matched the clothing Reinoehl wore on August 29, 2020 at the time of the homicide.

At the residence, law enforcement also located ammunition of the same caliber that matched the ballistic evidence recovered from the crime scene.

At the request of law enforcement, the court sealed the search warrant affidavit, the arrest warrant affidavit and the charging instrument in order to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

On September 4, 2020, the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office filed a motion with the court to unseal those specific documents. The court granted the motion.

Portland Police are continuing to investigate the shooting. They want to locate a potential witness (photo above) to the shooting.

Attorney General William P. Barr has issued the following statement:

“Last Saturday, Aaron “Jay” Danielson was shot and killed amid the continuing violence in Portland. Local authorities subsequently obtained an arrest warrant for Michael Forest Reinoehl, a self-described Antifa member suspected of the alleged murder. Reinoehl fled to Washington State, where he was located yesterday by members of a fugitive task force led by the U.S. Marshals Service, the FBI, and state and local law enforcement partners. When Reinoehl attempted to escape arrest and produced a firearm, he was shot and killed by law enforcement officers.

The tracking down of Reinoehl — a dangerous fugitive, admitted Antifa member, and suspected murderer — is a significant accomplishment in the ongoing effort to restore law and order to Portland and other cities. I applaud the outstanding cooperation among federal, state, and local law enforcement, particularly the fugitive task force team that located Reinoehl and prevented him from escaping justice. The streets of our cities are safer with this violent agitator removed, and the actions that led to his location are an unmistakable demonstration that the United States will be governed by law, not violent mobs.”

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content