Fred Meyer is recalling cheese dips sold in their delis because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. No customer illnesses have been confirmed to date.
On July 31, the company was notified by supplier Onions 52 that it had received red, yellow, and white onions from Thomson International, Inc., which had been implicated in the salmonella-related outbreak. On August 1, bulk onions sourced from Thomson International, Inc. were removed from sale in stores that had been identified as receiving the affected product. Subsequently, it was determined that several in-store made cheese dips may have used red onions from the produce department as an ingredient.
The dips, which are in plastic containers, were sold between May 15, 2020 and August 6, 2020. Items impacted include:
- MURRAY’S CHADS SMOKED GOUDA DIP 207083-00000
- MURRAY’S JALEPENO JARLSBERG DIP 207181-00000
- MURRAY’S BACON CHIVE JARLSBERG DIP 207182-00000
- MURRAY’S SOUTHWESTERN JARLSBERG DIP 207185-00000
- JARLSBERG DIP 207201-00000
- JARLSBERG CHEESE SPREAD 216407-20000
- PIMENTO CHEESE DIP 226481-60000
- DELI JARLSBERG JALAPENO DIP 236293-70000
- DELI BACON CHIVE JARLSBERG DIP 236294-70000
- DELI SOUTHWESTERN JARLSBERG DIP 236295-70000
- DELI JARLSBERG DIP 237462-40000
- JARLSBERG DIP 247199-00000
- DELI JARLSBERG CHEESE DIP 286292-70000
- DELI APPLEWOOD CHEDDAR DIP 286462-20000
- DELI BUFFALO BLUE CHEESE SPREAD 295095-50000
- DELI SOUTHWEST CHEESE SPREAD 295408-50000
- DELI RANCH CHEESE SPREAD 295409-50000
Out of an abundance of caution, these items have been removed from store shelves and the company has initiated its customer recall notification system that alerts customers who may have purchased recalled products through register receipt tape messages and phone calls.
Customers who have purchased the product described above should not consume it and should return it to a store for a full refund or replacement. Additional questions can be directed to Kroger Customer Connect at (800) 576-4377. Hours of operation are:
Mon-Fri – 7 a.m. to midnight EST
Sat,Sun – 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. EST