Demonstrators Close I-84

Photo: KATU

Monday night, demonstrators gathered in two location in Portland. A group gathered at Revolution Hall in Southeast Portland and a second gathered outside the Justice Center in Downtown Portland.

Thousands of demonstrators marched from Revolution Hall to Northeast Alberta Street and Northeast 15th Avenue.

During that march the demonstrators walked north through city streets, and onto Interstate 84. The demonstrators unexpectedly stopped traffic on Interstate 84. The Police Bureau and Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) were not made aware the demonstrators would march on the freeway. Both east and west bound traffic was impacted by the march.

There was at least one motorist who reported there was a conflict between the driver of a vehicle and those marching. This investigation is ongoing and to protect the integrity of the investigation we will not be releasing more information at this time. The Police Bureau is not aware of any injuries as a result of this incident.

After the incident, the demonstrators continued to march on Interstate 84 to Northeast 33rd Avenue, exited the freeway, and then through the Alberta Arts District to Northeast 15th Avenue and Northeast Alberta Street.

Once the demonstrators reached Northeast Alberta Street and Northeast 15th Avenue, they peacefully assembled and spoke for several hours. After the demonstration they marched to Revolution Hall.

The second demonstration occurred at about 7:30 p.m. Demonstrators gathered at the fence line at Southwest 3rd Avenue and Southwest Main Street, near the Justice Center. The demonstration took place over several hours. Officers observed demonstrators shake the fence and throw several projectiles. Officers also located several locations on the fence where holes had been cut into the fence. The holes in the fence were large enough for a person to fit through. The fence has since been repaired.

By approximately 1:00 a.m., a majority of the demonstrators left the area.

During the demonstration in downtown Portland this evening, Police Bureau members observed two men in the vicinity of Southwest 5th Avenue and Southwest Salmon Street carrying AR15 style rifles (Photo). Officers contacted the two men. Twenty-Five-year-old Adan Flores was cited for a city code violation, Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place. The other man was also contacted. In consultation with the District Attorney's office, the Portland Police Bureau confiscated two firearms from the individuals. This is an ongoing investigation.

Earlier in the day, at approximately 5:30 p.m., 24-year-old, Samuel Tate Berry was booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center on charges of Disorderly Conduct II and Criminal Mischief III. Officers observed Berry through multiple projectiles at officers near the Justice Center.

The Portland Police Bureau encourages community members' tips on criminal activity. Please call 911 if you see a crime in progress or for non-emergency information call (503)-823-3333.

Anyone with information about individuals who committed criminal activity at any event is asked to share that information with the Portland Police Bureau. Information can be sent via email to

For persons requiring anonymity, information may be submitted to Crime Stoppers of Oregon. Crime Stoppers of Oregon offers cash rewards of up to $2,500 cash for information, reported to Crime Stoppers, that leads to an arrest in any unsolved felony crime. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

Visit the App Store and download P3 Tips to submit secure and anonymous tips.

Online at or

Call 503-823-HELP (4357).

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content