Portland Police's North Precinct continues to put special detail officers aimed at addressing dangerous driving behavior, particularly speed racing. By using resources both on the ground and with the help of our Air Support Unit, officers have been seeking out groups of drivers that are gathering for the purposes of displays of speed. The illegal speed racing community is getting the message that this behavior will result in citations, towed vehicles and arrests.
This weekend, officers on the detail conducted 26 traffic stops, towed four vehicles, and arrested five suspects.
- 20 year-old Isaiah Lamar Brown for reckless driving, reckless endangering and forgery in the first degree
- 23 year-old Darling J Hinojosa for reckless driving
- 22 year-old Guillermo Estrada Vargas for reckless driving
- 38 year-old Michael Dean Bennion reckless driving, DUII and failure to perform duties of a driver
- 44 year-old Sean Philip Moore for DUII, reckless driving and five counts of reckless endangering as officers were nearly struck due to Mr. Moore's reckless conduct.
The Portland Police Bureau will continue its efforts in educating community members about the dangers of speed racing. This education will be conducted on our social media platforms and through one-on-one conversations with participants. Enforcement action will also continue against individuals who are suspected of committing these types of crimes.