TriMet’s MAX system will be disrupted from Sunday, August 4th through Saturday, August 17th as it makes track improvements in the Rose Quarter and Lloyd areas.
MAX Blue, Green and Red lines will be disrupted and fewer trains will be running throughout the MAX system.
All MAX lines will be running on different schedules during the two-week disruption.
TriMet encourages riders to check the temporary MAX schedules on trimet.org and plan an extra 30 to 45 minutes for trips on all lines.
Trains may be very crowded during commuting hours and you may not be able to get on the first train that comes.
Shuttle buses will take riders between the Interstate/Rose Quarter and Lloyd Center stations, serving stops nearby the closed stations in between.
A special shuttle bus will run between the Kenton/N Denver Ave MAX Station in North Portland and PDX.
TriMet asks riders to change their MAX trips during the two-week disruption, if possible. Consider changing when you ride to avoid rush hours. Use regular TriMet bus service, the Portland Streetcar, bike or walk, if you can. Work from home. Or, use other transportation.
Learn more at trimet.org/lloyd.
Here are how the lines will be affected.
MAX Blue Line
• MAX Blue Line trains will run on their regular route between Hillsboro and the Steel Bridge.
• North of the Steel Bridge, Blue Line trains will run on the Yellow Line route in North Portland, serving stations between Interstate/Rose Quarter and Expo Center stations.
• MAX Blue Line trains also will run between Lloyd Center/NE 11th Ave and Gresham.
• Shuttle buses will take Blue Line riders between Interstate/Rose Quarter and Lloyd Center/NE 11th Ave stations, serving stops near the closed stations.
MAX Green Line
• MAX Green Line will run only between Lloyd Center/NE 11th Ave and Clackamas.
• There will be no Green Line trains running in Portland City Center.
MAX Red Line
• MAX Red Line will run only between Portland International Airport and Gateway Transit Center.
• To lessen the disruption getting to and from the airport, TriMet will be running a special shuttle bus direct between the Kenton/N Denver Ave Station and the airport.
• Those traveling between the west side and the airport should use Blue Line trains that will be serving Yellow Line stations in North Portland, transferring between the train and a shuttle bus at the Kenton Station.
• Those using the Orange and Yellow lines will also have a quicker trip to and from the airport, transferring between trains and a shuttle bus at the Kenton Station.
• Those traveling between the Lloyd Center and the airport will have a faster trip using MAX Blue or Green Line trains between Lloyd Center Station and Gateway Transit Center, and using Red Line trains between the airport and Gateway.
MAX Orange/Yellow Line
• Fewer trains will be running on MAX Orange and Yellow lines during the two-week disruption.
During the Lloyd MAX Improvements project, crews will be upgrading some switches in the Rose Quarter area and replacing sections of curved rail that are worn from more than 30 years of use. Switches are sections of rail that allow trains to move from one set of tracks to another. Curved rail wears faster than straight rail due to the friction between the trains wheels and the rail. Crews will remove a little-used manual switch between 9th and 11th avenues. They’ll put in sections of straight rail instead.
Traffic will also be impacted. The northbound right auto lane and bike lane on N Interstate Avenue from NE Wheeler to Drexler, which is just north of the Interstate/Rose Quarter Station, will be blocked by construction and shuttle bus operations. Holladay Street will be closed between NE 11th and 13th. NE 13th Avenue will be closed between Lloyd Boulevard and Multnomah Street.