Prison Sentence Handed Down in Anthony Jackson Jr. Murder

Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill announced that 29-year-old Deandrea Sanders received a 20 year prison sentence for killing Mr. Anthony Jackson Jr.

“You didn’t just take my son’s life that day, you took the life we knew,” Shannon Taloff, the victim’s mother said in court. “You took the mother my kids knew because I will never be the same. You took their big brother and their innocence. He was our protector. … I never knew what real pain felt like until I had to lay next to my son in a hospital bed and feel his heart stop beating. … There is no such thing as justice when someone’s life is taken.”

On May 24, 2019, Sanders pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree with a firearm and one count of attempted aggravated murder.

"Anthony Jackson Jr. was deeply loved in our community and by his family," said Multnomah County Senior Deputy District Attorney Nathan Vasquez, who prosecuted this case. "The State has gone to great lengths to investigate this matter. We believe this is an appropriate resolution because Mr. Sanders has now taken responsibility for causing Mr. Jackson’s death. With that admission comes accountability in the form of a significant prison sentence.”

This investigation started on July 12, 2015 when Portland Police officers patrolling the area of Southeast 137th Avenue and Powell Boulevard heard multiple gunshots in the area.

Officers responded to the Shalamar Apartments, located at 13746 Southeast Powell Boulevard, and located Jackson, 19, suffering from life-threatening gunshot wounds. Officers secured the area and provided medical aid to Mr. Jackson. He was transported to the hospital, but died on July 14, 2015 as a result of his injuries.

Based on the investigation, law enforcement believes Sanders was likely armed with two handguns at the time of the shooting. Law enforcement located more than a dozen .45 caliber shell casings at the scene.

Detectives assigned to the Portland Police Bureau’s Homicide Detail spoke with witnesses who told them that Mr. Jackson was shot while standing in a parking lot.

Furthermore, law enforcement learned that Sanders and Mr. Jackson had been involved a lengthy and ongoing argument.

On July 16, 2015, law enforcement contacted Sanders and found him to be in possession of a firearm. The weapon was later tested for physical evidence and subsequently connected forensically to the death of Mr. Jackson.

Andre Grandy, who drove Sanders to the Shalamar Apartments, previously pleaded guilty to one count of manslaughter in the first degree. According to court documents, he will receive a 10 year prison sentence.

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office recognizes the Portland Police Bureau patrol officers who responded to the scene, the Portland Police Bureau’s Homicide Detail and the officers who arrested Sanders for their dedicated efforts working this case.

Source: Multnomah County District Attorney

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content