ODOT on Monday will begin a project to repair and replace a number of freeway joints on the elevated sections of Interstate 405 on either side of the Fremont Bridge and on the ramp from I-405 north to westbound U.S. 26.
Freeway joints are made of steel and concrete and connect segments of freeway. Over time, these joints wear down from use and need maintenance or replacement. These repairs will improve the condition and maintain the long-term safety and use of this heavily traveled freeway.
In addition to the joint work, new concrete surfaces will be installed near the replaced joints and on three sections of freeway ramps: U.S. 30 east to I-405 north, U.S. 30 east to I-405 south, and I-405 north to U.S. 26 west.
Work is expected to be complete in fall 2020.
The freeway joint work and resurfacing will require:
- Nighttime single and double lane closures on I-405.
- Weekend daytime lane closures on I-405.
- Nighttime and around-the-clock weekend closures of on- and off-ramps (detailed on map below). Multiple on- and off-ramp closures may happen at the same time.
- Full 24/7 closures of U.S. 30 east to I-405 north (18 days) and U.S. 30 east to I-405 south (11 days).
- Closures of sidewalks, lanes and parking on local roads under I-405.
Impacts for the week of March 18
U.S. 30 east to I-405 south and U.S. 30 east to I-405 north will experience intermittent full nighttime closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on Monday, March 18 through Friday, March 22. Single lane closures will begin at 8 p.m.
U.S. 30 to I-405 north and U.S. 30 to I-405 south will not close at the same time. Signs will direct drivers to detour routes
For maps and more information visit the project website at www.i405ramps.org