Clackamas County Sheriff’s deputies got to visit the infant they'd saved a week earlier using CPR at Clackamas Town Center.
Shortly after noon on Sunday, Sept. 30, deputies received an urgent call from Clackamas Town Center. A week-old infant, Audrey Harmon, had stopped breathing in the portrait studio at JCPenney.
The deputies responded, running through the mall to the portrait studio. They found the baby pale and unresponsive. They believe she had choked on fluids. The parents were distraught. The mother had called 911 while the father and a number of Good Samaritans made the first attempts at infant CPR and assisted the parents.
Deputies immediately went to work.
One deputy performed chest compressions while another deputy checked the infant's airway with his finger. They stabilized Audrey’s head, keeping her neck arched and airway open. They turned Audrey over on her stomach and performed a burping chest pat to remove fluid from the baby's airway then they used a Bulbous nose sucker to extract fluid from the infant's nose.
Clackamas Fire District #1 paramedics arrived about two minutes later and took over CPR.
Baby Audrey was transported to OHSU. She remains in intensive care, but her condition is steadily improving.
On Oct. 7, Audrey's parents, Kaylob Harmon and Jessie Siefer, invited the deputies to visit Audrey at OHSU and take a group photo.
"Kaylob told us he wanted a picture to show Audrey one day of the guys who saved her life," reported Deputy Zacharkiw. "It was unbelievably heartwarming to be invited back, and amazing to see how far she has progressed since last Sunday. Shortly after we left, Kaylob texted me a few more pictures, excited that the EEG leads had been removed from Audrey’s head."