The Ellington Apartments in Northeast Portland were evacuated, because of a fire Monday morning.
Firefighters were called to the apartments at 6:55 a.m.
The Ellington Apartments are located at Northeast 66th and Broadway.
Firefighters were told a fire had broken out in the kitchen of one unit. Conflicting reports were being sent to Engine 19 and other responding fire engines and trucks en route to the scene. Several reports of residents who were trapped or at least unable to get out of their apartments without assistance. The firefighters of Engine 19 arrived within minutes and quickly put out the kitchen fire that fortunately had not extended outside of the affected apartment unit.
Several residents were evaluated for smoke inhalation but no serious injuries were found. There were no patients transported from the scene.
The fire started from a cooking accident. Cooking related fires are the number one cause of household fires in the U.S.
The Portland Fire Bureau says this incident is an important reminder of knowing your escape routes. Especially for those of us who live in multi-story residences:
- Always know and practice your escape route with your family and/or other shared residents.
- Practice your plan twice a year and have a meeting place outside.
- Make sure everyone knows the address, the individual unit number and how to call 911.