The ramps that connect Interstate 84 to Interstate 5 will close 24-hours a day for two weeks at a time in July and August.
ODOT and Hamilton Construction will close the ramp that connects I-5 southbound to I-84 eastbound 10 p.m. Sunday, July 8 through 5 a.m. Monday, July 23. This is the first of three full closures of the ramps that connect the two interstate.
Gridlock type conditions are expected during the multi-week closures. Here is what travelers could experience:
- Rush-hour(s) like congestion or worse, from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekdays.
- Commutes that last at least a couple of hours.
- Backups to the Interstate Bridge on I-5, Troutdale on I-84 and the Glenn Jackson Bridge and Sunnyside on Interstate 205. Interstate 405 will also experience congestion.
- Congestion on local roads as travelers divert off the interstate or use other on-ramps to I-84 eastbound.
- TriMet buses in north, northeast and southeast Portland may experience delays as traffic diverts to city streets.
- Up-to three hour long drive times on I-84 westbound between Interstate 205 and I-5 when the westbound ramps to I-5 are closed.
Travelers plan now to avoid headaches later
Planning to avoid travel during these closures will not only save you headaches and time, but it will also help others who must travel in the vicinity of the closures.
- Take MAX Light Rail. Trains run in a dedicated trackway and bypass the congestion. TriMet has a number of free Park & Rides. Plan your trip at trimet.org.
- Bike or walk to your destination.
- Check with your employer to see if you can adjust your work schedule, telework or work from an alternate location.
- Explore other parts of the City and Oregon. If you have vacation planned or availability to take vacation, avoid the area so you can enjoy your time exploring the beauty of Oregon.
More closures are coming this summer to I-84 and I-5
I-5 southbound will close for paving between the Fremont and the Marquam Bridges from 10 p.m. Friday, July 13 to 5 a.m. Monday July 16 and from 10 p.m. Friday, July 20 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 23.
During these closures travelers will use the Fremont Bridge and Interstate 405.
Two-week, around-the-clock ramp closures will take place at I-84 and I-5 throughout July and August along with directional closures of I-5 between the Fremont and Marquam Bridges. Here is the schedule:
- 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 25 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 6: I-84 westbound to I-5 northbound is closed.
- 10 p.m. Friday, July 27 to 5 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 2: In addition to the I-84 westbound to I-5 northbound ramp closure, the center lane of I-84 westbound will close near Lloyd Boulevard. This will only leave the left lane open on I-84 westbound.
- 10 p.m. Friday, July 27 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 30: I-5 northbound will close between the Marquam and Fremont Bridges.
- 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3 to 5 a.m. Aug. 6, I-5 northbound will close between the Marquam and Fremont Bridges.
- 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 27: I-84 westbound to I-5 southbound will close. This means only one lane, the right lane, of I-84 will remain open.