Night lane closures begin Thursday for the Oregon Department of Transportation’s Interstate 5 paving project from the Interstate Bridge to the Moda Center that will include full highway closures on four summer weekends.
This six-mile stretch of highway was last paved 15 years ago and is showing its age with potholes and other signs of deterioration in one of the busiest corridors in the state.
The project will:
· Repave six miles between the Interstate Bridge and Moda Center.
· Repave on-ramps and off-ramps.
· Improve sidewalk ADA ramps.
· Improve signs, including more visible street names.
· Replace median barriers.
Lanes will be closed at night through the summer of 2018, Sunday through Thursday, 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., and Fridays and Saturdays 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
Full closures will be necessary on four weekends between the Marquam Bridge and the Fremont Bridge, two weekends for each direction.
Here are the dates for the full closures.
Southbound I-5 will be closed between the Marquam and Fremont bridges from:
· 10 p.m. Friday, July 13 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 16.
· 10 p.m. Friday, July 20 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 23.
erre are the dates for the Northbound I-5 will be closed between the Marquam and Fremont bridges from:
· 10 p.m. Friday, July 27 to 5 a.m. Monday, July 30.
· 10 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 6.
The project is scheduled for completion by the fall of 2019. Paving will take place only at night, weather permitting. Other work, including sign replacement, sidewalk upgrades and median replacement, will continue through the winter.
For detour routes, travel impacts and other project information, go to the project web site at i5PDXconstruction.org.