The Portland Police Bureau Tactical Operation Division's Gang Enforcement Team has continued Operation Safe Winter, a partnership between multiple local and federal law enforcement partners, community groups and the Portland Mayor's Office of Youth Violence Prevention. Based on information learned through conversations with community members, the Gang Enforcement Team believed there was a likelihood of additional gun violence after two recent homicides and Operation Safe Winter was extended.
Since Thursday, February 8, 2018, officers assigned to the Gang Enforcement Team worked with officers assigned to North, East, and Central Precincts and partnering law enforcement agencies to work throughout the city and arrest people involved in gun violence.
The officers located and seized nine handguns and arrested 13 people on various charges during this five-day mission extension. Since Monday, January 22, 2018, the partnership between law enforcement, service providers and community members has led to the removal and seizure of 27 illegally possessed firearms.
"The collaboration between community and law enforcement in the preceding three weeks of Operation Safe Winter has removed multiple illegally possessed firearms and likely prevented additional gun violence in our community," said Chief Danielle Outlaw. "Operation Safe Winter has really set the standard for what is possible when community members and law enforcement come together to impact safety in our community."
Law Enforcement, public safety and community groups involved in partnership for this mission included:
- Gresham Police Department/ Multnomah County Sheriff's Office East Metro Gang Enforcement Team
- Hillsboro Police Department/ Washington County Sheriff's Office Interagency Gang Enforcement Team
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATTF)
- Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC)
- Multnomah County Parole and Probation
- Multnomah County Juvenile Parole and Probation
- Oregon Youth Authority
- Crisis Response Team
- Portland Opportunities Industrialization Center (POIC)
- Portland Public Schools
- Latino Network
- Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization Native American Youth and Family Center