Fire Destroys Marijuana Grow Warehouse

Tuesday evening, Portland Fire crews were called to the warehouse in the 6100 block of SE 111th Avenue on a report of smoke. 

On arrival, responders found smoke in the industrial park and further investigation revealed a fire in one of the metal clad buildings. 

As crews worked to get hose lines to the seat of the fire, the fire burned through the roof of the building. 

At 6:57pm the incident commander called a second alarm to get additional resources. 

During this incident, several challenges arose for firefighters, the first was when a fire hydrant located near the fire building failed to operate. Fire crews had to back track and connect to a different hydrant located outside the industrial park and stretch hose lines approximately 500 feet to the area of the fire building. 

The second challenge occurred when a large communication line burned through and dropped to the ground. At fire scenes, all downed wires are treated as live power lines until the power company can confirm they're de-energized and safe. 

Fire attack crews were able to locate the fire in an interior bathroom and, once found, quickly extinguished it. Fire Investigators determined the fire was started by a faulty exhaust fan in the ceiling of the bathroom. There were no injuries as a result of this fire. Preliminary damage estimates are approximately $60,000 to the building and its contents. 

Then, just before 2 a.m. Wednesday, a second fire was reported in the same building. 

On arrival firefighters found heavy fire conditions. Fire crews initiated a defensive attack with large master stream hose lines and worked to control embers and prevent the spread of the fire to other nearby buildings. 

Investigators are working to determine the nature and circumstances surrounding the second fire.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

News Radio 1190 KEX · Depend On Us
Listen Now on iHeartRadio