Portland Fire & Rescue battled a house fire near the University of Portland Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out at a home on North Fisk Street.  When fire crews arrived, they tried to walk up the stairs, but the stairs were too burned out.

The fire started at the back of the home, them moved forward. The entire back of the house is burned out.

The three occupants and their dog made it out safely. No one was hurt.

Portland Fire says the cause was from an improperly disposed cigarette. 

Firefighters want to remind people that it's important to always use a deep, sturdy ashtray that can't be tipped over. They can also be doused in water or sand. 

Never discard cigarettes in potted plants or landscaping because they can easily catch fire. 

Photo courtesy of KATU