41-year old Hugo Avalos Chanon, of Portland, was part of a work crew cleaning the building and equipment at Interstate Meat Distributors in Clackamas when he fell into a meat grinder.
Another worker noticed something was wrong, but wasn't able to stop the equipment before it killed Chanon.
The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office and the Medical Examiner's Office are investigating.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is looking into what happened. Melanie Mesaros, Oregon OSHA spokeswoman, said the investigation could take up to six months.
KATU News reports Interstate Meat Distributors has had several safety violations in the past:
•In November of 2005, a cleaning crew employee lost a finger in a ribbon blender while cleaning the machine. OSHA cited the company following what happened.
•In February of this year, a drill press was not anchored properly to make sure it did not move during operation and possibly hurt someone.
•OSHA's most recent inspection outlined a number of other serious violations, including a 10-inch table saw that did not have a hood covering the blade, a metal lathe and rotating chuck with no guards and a fire hazard created from a routine of refilling propane cylinders.
•There was also a serious violation involving cleaning the equipment in the most recent report. OSHA found that three machines were not locked out during the tear down process, which could have led to an unexpected startup and possible serious injuries.
•OSHA also found that safety committee members did not have proper training.